ILA
In 1943, a group of linguists at colleges and universities in the New York area, including many members of the École Libre des Hautes Études in exile, came together to form the Linguistic Circle of New York.

In 1969, in recognition of the expanded character of its membership, the society's name was changed to the International Linguistic Association (ILA). Since that period, the ILA has emerged with a solid membership throughout the United States as well as various countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.